This month Rotronic launch the Hygroclip2 Advanced range (HC2A). This is important especially for all our existing customers as the HC2A range will replace the existing Hygroclip2 (HC2) range.
Firstly, why change?
The HygroClip digital probe was launched in 1999 a revolutionary product that set the standard for accuracy, stability and changed the market by offering digital interchangeability and the inclusion of calibration and adjustment data on the probe. Ten years later our entire range was updated to the HygroClip2 a modern digital probe with a far greater digital capability. The HC2 provided more advanced calibration and adjustment as well as data logging and sensor diagnostics. Manufacturing processes were also improved. Since then it has nearly been 10 years again and so it’s time to further develop the HygroClip.
This year we have seen the launch of several new HygroClip solutions, Our Low Dew Point range (HC2-LDP) utilises our next generation AirChip4000, our new ATEX range (HC2-EX) gives a well needed update to our intrinsically safe devices and now the HC2A brings a number of subtle evolution’s to our flagship product the HC2-S.
What’s new in the HC2A;
- Much more robust HT-1 sensor which measures up to 93°C dew point
- This sensor has been used in industrial probes for the past 12 months with proven performance
- Allows measurements up to 95%rh at 95 °C
- Also can withstand temperatures up to 200°C for longer durations
- 190°C long term
- 100 hrs at 200°C without increased drift
- New improved housing with fully potted electronics
- Further increasing the resilience of the HygroClip in the most demanding applications
- Standardised and fully interchangeable filter for all upcoming HC2A probes
- Simplified filter design and options, also ensures sensors are mechanically protected even when changing Polyethylene and Teflon (PTFE) filters.
- Industrial wire mesh and sintered steel filters are now single modules preventing leaks
- Completely backward compatible to HC2
- No new hardware or OEM device changes required!
- Improved power management
- Improved power supply regulation
So what does this mean to customers already using our HC2 probes.
Firstly what produces are affected. The changes to date impact our standard HC2-S(3) and HC2-SM probes as well as their Hydrogen Peroxide resistant counterparts the HC2-S(3)-HH and HC2-SM(3)-HH. Wider industrial ranges will be updated in due course.
- HC2A and HC2 range devices use the same electronics so are completely compatible in terms of
- Power supply
- Power consumption
- Digital and analogue outputs.
- Only affects HC2-S and HC2-S3 probes
- The HC2A range incorporates a similar filter and filter carrier system as used on existing probes.
- The filter thread is different as such a new range of filters and carriers are available for the HC2A range
- All HC2A probes (standard and industrial) will use the same range of filters and carriers
- Wire mesh and sinter-steel filters are physically mounted to the carrier to prevent minor gaps and leakage.
- The HC2A-S poly-carbonate probes are 23mm longer
- The HC2A-SM stainless steel probes are 2mm shorter
- Sensing element
- The HC2A range utilises our HT1 sensor. A subtle change to the IN1 sensor previously used. The new sensor design improves its physical properties and can measure up to 93°C dew point.
- Probe pricing remain the same as existing HC2 ranges.
- Filters and carriers are also priced the same as current equivalents.
Experience from over the past 50 years has been combined along with specific development and testing during the last three years to bring the further advancements to our flagship probe range. This gives us the confidence that the HC2A probes are already a mature humidity and temperature solution which further advances our customers ability to measure humidity with the excellent quality and long term stability expected of Rotronic products.
A desire to ensure better measurements along with the growing demands and expectations from our customers drives us continually improve and develop our products and services. Watch this space as this year will see further announcements from Rotronic as we look to the future after over 50 years helping our customers make quality measurements
Dr Jeremy Wingate